NFRC logo

Where is NFRC Rating Required?

Each state either refers to a national code or develops their own. Refer to the Alliance to Save Energy’s Building Code Assistance Project web page to determine if your state references one of the codes. Click on either the commercial or residential map page link, shown below, to learn what your state references.

Building Codes Assistance Project-Code Maps

If your state does not reference one of the codes below, click on the Building Code Assistance Project’s newsletter to learn what code is referenced. BCAP publishes the newsletter bimonthly explaining the existing building energy code reference and any legislative activity to change the energy code.

The primary developer of energy code, the International Code Council, has a web page showing the adoption of various versions of their codes also. Click on this link to learn more: International Code Council Adoptions by State

Another way to learn about national codes in your state is consulting the Alliance to Save Energy’s Responsible Energy Code Alliance. Their web site enables a user to understand the IECC 2000 requirement in their state. Click on “state code guides” on the home page, and then select your state. A PDF’d graphic will appear showing the climate zones by county and a summary of the energy code requirements are shown.

The US Department of Energy also has good building energy code information on its web site. Click on the link below for more information on the status of national energy codes.

US DOE’s Status of State Energy Codes.